This wedding cake checklist will help you to short-list the best bakers and then compare and contrast between a short-list. Additionally, I’ve included wedding cake styles, tier shapes, flavors and so forth to get you thinking about what you want. The best way to use this wedding cake checklist is to read through the whole list, check the items under ‘The Cake’ get an idea of what you want…and then search out the potential wedding cake bakers!
Wedding photo source: Eneka Stewart Photography
The Wedding Cake Checklist Basics
- Determine your budget
- Will your venue allow a cake from an external baker?
- Get an idea as to what type/style of cake you want (see below)
- Create a list of bakers specializing in wedding cakes to short-list
- Check bakers availablity for your wedding date
- Ask for price examples and payment terms
- Any transporation or set-up fees?
- Any cake cutting fees?
- Are the cake knife and stand provided by the baker?
- Are toast glasses provided by the baker?
- What are the guarantee, insurance and cancellation terms?
- Short-list bakers down to a few
- Book viewing and tasting appointment (look at pictures and taste cakes)
- Decide on baker
- Ensure you get a written agreement
Other Wedding Cake Things
- Nut allergies
- Diabetic, gluten free, etc?
- Refridgeration at the venue – is there a space for the cake (if needed)
- How many days before the wedding will the cake be made?
- Has the baker delivered to the venue before?
THE WEDDING CAKE
Wedding Cake Style?
Wedding Cake Tier Shapes?
- Topsy Turvy
- Mixed Shapes
- Sheet cake
Wedding Cake Topper?
- Bride & Groom
Number of Servings?
- 0-10 servings
- 10-50 servings
- 50-100 servings
- 100-150 servings
- 150-200 servings
- 200+ servings
Wedding Cake Flavor?
- Red Velvet
- Angel Food
Wedding Cake Color or Colors?
What Colors to Accent Your Wedding Cake With?
Wedding Cake Add-ons?
- Sugar flowers
- Real flowers
- Fresh fruit
- Invitation motif
Am I missing anything? Let me know in the comments below and I’ll add it!
Now that you know your numerous cake options, what about deciding on the wedding photos that you want to have taken? Check out our Wedding Photo Request Checklist or if you know someone getting married and want to give them the top 10 wedding checklists, buy our book on Amazon: The Top 10 Wedding Planning Checklists: For Planning & Organizing Your Perfect Wedding