If you are planning to have a baby, use this checklist to start yourself off on the right foot to having a normal labour and birth.
- Assume your birth is normal unless proven otherwise.
- Choose a caregiver that supports birth as normal, natural, and healthy. Doctors are trained in fixing problems, so for a normal birth, sometimes they are not the best option.
- Ask your provider their thoughts on managing a normal birth. They should include being able to move, eat and drink, and using interventions only as necessary.
- Consider choosing a caregiver that only deals with normal births, such as a midwife.
- Hire a doula to provide support during labor as well as help you and your partner make decisions in the birth setting.
- Ask questions at the facility at which you are giving birth to find out their practices surrounding a normal birth.