When you’re networking and meeting people, there’s a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. This Networking Checklist is a way to ensure that you make the most of your networking experience and do it the right way!
Before the Event
- Do research about the people at the event before you turn up.
- Set goals for the number and type of people you want to meet.
- Make sure you understand the theme of the event.
- Make sure you know the dress code of the event (don’t overdress or underdress).
- Make sure that you have enough of your own business cards to hand out.
- Have a few opener liners ready in your head to use at the event.
At the Event
- Arrive early and start to mingle.
- Be bold, walk up to someone and introduce yourself.
- Make a positive impression.
- Talk to someone for a maximum of ten minutes. In that time make sure that you get their business card.
- Politely excuse yourself and move on, it’s a networking event so people should expect that to happen.
- When you are handed someone’s business card, thank them and don’t put it in your back pocket.
- Before moving on to another contact, write on the back of the business card.
After the Event
- When you get home, organize the cards you received and write little notes about the people you meet.
- Make sure you follow up with the contacts you made that are of interest to you within 24 hours.
- Input contacts into a contact book and write up the notes against it, don’t forget to mention the event you meant them at!