When it comes to child proofing, there is a wide range of factors to think of. Your little explorers will be on the move all day investigating all their surroundings; feeling and touching everything in sight, in and out of reach. In this case, parents should be fully aware and of the dangers at home and prevent any accidents. Keep your family safe and happy and child proof your home by referencing this Childproofing Checklist and by crawling through your home on hands and knees to see what your child may be able to access and don’t forget to recheck your home every few months.
Childproofing the Bathroom
- Use faucet and knob covers in the bathtub.
- Purchase non-slip tub/shower mats and area rugs.
- Put decals/stickers at baby’s eye level on sliding glass doors.
- Use a toilet lock to keep the lid down.
- Put a cabinet lock on your medicine cabinet.
- Put cleansers, bleach, cosmetics, razors etc out of reach.
Childproofing the Bedroom
- Keep window bling cords out of reach.
- Use childproof locks on cabinets and drawers.
- Never leave your bay on your bed unattended as s/he could roll off.
Childproofing the Living Room
- Place window guards on second-story windows.
- Keep reclining chairs in the closed position.
- Store all breakables and lamps out of reach.
- Use outlet covers on all outlets.
- Use brackets or straps to secure furniture live TVs and bookshelves to the wall.
- Keep all houseplants out of reach.
- Use fireplace gates around fireplaces and wood stoves.
- Place edge cushions on sharp corners and edges.
- Place safety gates at the bottom and top of every stairwell.
Childproofing the Kitchen
- Store all plastic bags out of reach.
- Store all alcohol behind locked doors.
- Purchase a trash can with a lid, or keep it behind a locked door.
- Unplug small appliances and wind up their cords when not in use.
- Install stove knob guards.
- Keep stools and chairs away from counters to prevent climbing.
- Install banister shields if the pots are more than 3 inches apart.
- Places appliance locks on major appliances.
Childproofing the Garage, Shed and Other Areas
- Install finder guards on doors.
- Put covers on door knobs to off-limit areas.
- Don’t leave cords lying loose.
- Keep your pets’ food dish away from your baby.
- Turn down the water heater to 120 to prevent scalding.
- Install a sensor on your garage door that prevents it from closing when something or someone is underneath it.
- Lock up cleaning supplies, medicines, cosmetics and sharp objects or store them high out of reach.
- Keep the shed locked!